Thursday, May 13, 2010

Multnomah Falls - Larch Mountain Hike

Jazzmine and I had our longest hike ever on Tuesday; may have been the longest hike of my life - not sure.  I took the day off, and we hiked from Multnomah Falls to the top of Larch Mountain. I get jaded about Multnomah Falls – the old Yogi Berra saying, “Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded.” But it’s crowded because it’s amazing, and it attracts people from all over the World.


Above Multnomah Falls, the crowds disappear, but the natural beauty remains.  Within a half-mile of the top of the falls are two other waterfalls, and a variety of beautiful rapids.  This is Wisendanger Falls.  You encounter this view as you round a bend, and the trail begins to ascend to the right through a series of switchbacks.   


The trail continues along Multnomah Creek for another mile and a half or so, including three crossings.  Then it emerges into a clearing, and follows a rockfall for a ways before going back into the woods. 

Back in the woods, the trail got steep again, and soon the clouds that had been overhead all morning became fog at my level.  About this time, I began seeing patches of snow on the ground here and there.  As we continued, these became more frequent, until at the top, we were in a snowfield about a foot deep.  As I began to feel the first signs of frostbite in my fingers, I realized that I had lost my Army surplus wool gloves somewhere along the trail; Jazzmine found them on our way down, but by then we were back below the snowline again - 'Bad Dog ... No biscuit!' 
Just kidding ... Good Dog! 

It was a sweet hike down.  I had to be careful with my footing, since my legs were a bit rubbery, but it was really gorgeous.  Near where the East Fork joins the main flow of Multnomah Creek, I noticed this rock bowl along the trail, which I hadn't seen on the way up.  When I grabbed my camera to line up a shot, it seemed that the combination of the rock bowl and the stump behind it made a nice looking natural altar.  Altar seems the appropriate term; I had found the entire day to be a validation both of the beauty of God's creation, and of the amazing, evolutionary adaptations that characterized the land and the life I witnessed there.  It would feel right to me to take the holy sacraments here, then dance naked laps around it. 

We really are blessed to have such a beautiful area be so accessible.  I have wasted too many years, and have missed too many opportunities to go up there.  But each morning is a chance to change course, and since my legs have begun leading me more frequently to Columbia Gorge hiking trails, I have never looked back. 

I'll continue to go to our brick and mortar church, but will try to make it often to the services I enjoy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment