Sunday, December 11, 2016

We Are All One

I’m going to try to avoid controversial / political posts for a couple weeks, so I can focus on the things that make me happy, and that bring us together as human beings, as I get a desired frame of mind for Christmas.

As a bridge to that mode, I offer this story from the life of Mahatma Gandhi.
The transition from British rule to independence in the Indian subcontinent was marked by horrific violence, as communities fractured along sectarian lines. Massive riots happened in major cities, resulting in many deaths and injuries, and ignited a cycle of revenge and anger.

Gandhi began fasting to bring attention to this, and hopefully to bring peace to his land. One day, a man came to him, begging forgiveness for a wrong he had committed during these riots. His son had been killed by a Muslim mob, so in retribution, he took the life of a Muslim child. He asked Gandhi how he could avoid going to hell for this.

Gandhi’s answer, I believe is worthy of Solomon. He said that for this man to redeem himself, he should find an orphan of Muslim parents killed in the violence; adopt him, and raise him as his own. But the kicker is that he must raise the child not a Hindu, but in the Islamic faith if his lost parents.

We are all one. Gandhi said it; Jesus Christ said it as well. Wise people from time out of mind have shared this view. As I prepare to celebrate Christmas, this will be in my heart, and I hope in yours as well.

Peace on Earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment