Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Dances with Aliens

Dances with Aliens

A few years ago, I went with some friends to see a popular new movie.  It was an adaptation from a popular video game, made into a movie.  It used lots of CGI, and other high tech tricks.  

It was visually stunning, but as I watched, it seemed all too familiar -  like I had seen it before.  Then it hit me.  James Cameron had remade Dances With Wolves, but had moved it to another planet, and colored the Indians' faces blue.  

It wasn't a bad movie – just entirely predictable.  I guess Cameron and his team decided that if you've invested hundreds of millions of dollars on special effects, you don't want to put it all at risk by plopping in untested plot elements.  

A sequel is out now, and I've heard there are a number of additional franchise sequels in the can.  So we have that to look forward to ... which is nice, I guess.  

No comments:

Post a Comment